These 10 tips outline a simple process that’s aimed at helping you and your child enjoy the home reading experience.
Before the reading
1. Find a quiet place and a regular time to read together.
2. Tell your child the title of the book and look at the cover.
3. Ask “What do you think the story is about?”
4. Look at the pictures. They will help your child to read the book successfully.
5. Talk about the pictures and find any unusual words or ideas that might be in the book. It is a good idea to tell your child the names of the characters in the story, as names are often difficult for children to read.
During the reading
6. Invite your child to read you the story, beginning with the title."
7. Make an occasional comment during the reading to show that you are interested in what your child is reading."
After the reading
8. PRAISE your child for their efforts and talk about the story.
9. Complete the Home Reading Record for the day (if applicable).
10. Provide your child with the option of re-reading the book.